Tuesday, April 21, 2015

April! Airline Destroys Shadowbox! Fabric Collage! Snippets! Freebies!

Hello Friends!

April showers!!
Well, not really here, it is San Diego, after all!

This next piece is something I've wanted to blog about for awhile,
but wanted to make sure it got safely in the hands of it's recipients first!
My nephew married a delightful young woman last December,
they had a beautiful Christmas themed wedding,
and I wanted to make something special for them--
a shadowbox using bits of their wedding invitation along with
pictures of them during their engagement,
leading up to the wedding.
And I wanted to hand deliver it to them
at their rehearsal dinner.
I should mention that we live on opposite coasts.
I thought I would be safe in hand carrying it in
my onboard luggage.
Well.
Our connecting flight was on a smaller regional jet,
and hand luggage is stowed in the baggage compartment as you board the plane.
Well.
They unload the baggage compartment,
and send it up in a little elevator to the gate for you to pick up.
Somehow, some way, lucky me,
my bag got caught between the elevator and the shaft,
it wouldn't open, it wouldn't close,
the only way to dislodge it was to send it back down
and let it drop 30 FEET!
They claimed they tried to catch it...

I wish I had a picture of the suitcase...
But I do have this...
This is what the shadowbox looked like when I packed it:



This is what I received when I finally got my baggage:


They (the airline personnel) were very apologetic,
but I had worked long and hard on it,
and I had so wanted to give it to them in person at the RD...  :(

But...
there is a happy ending!
After begging for bits of the invitation from various relatives,
I pulled myself together to to try recreate it,
which was a bit tricky, 
now that they are married,
and I needed to work the wedding in.

 Well, I did,
and the happy couple just happened to come to San Diego last week,
and I was able to give them this:


 in person!!
They loved it,
and we had a lovely time together!

Catching up on some other projects...
I was in a snippet roll swap earlier this year.
I had wanted to do one of those for a long time,
and had so much fun making them!
They are quite addictive!
I love the idea that you can take bits and pieces of fabric and lace
and add to it and make something so lovely!






This next is a 4 x 6 fabric collage sampler
which I made for my partner in
Swap for All Season's monthly fabric sampler swap.
I made this very vintage lace butterfly the focal point,
not realizing but delighted to find out my partner loves butterflies!
 
Some Spring-y freebies for you:






Click to enlarge, right click and save!

More Friday fun to be had at Fabulously Creative Friday!  
Lots of great ideas at Show and Tell Friday!  
Lovely blues at Anything Blue Friday!
Lots of links to lovely pinks at Pink Saturday!
Creative living, decorating, and craft ideas at Inspired Sunday!
Lovely tablescapes at Seasonal Sundays!
Be inspired by Inspire Me Tuesday!
Vintage creativity at Vintage Inspiration Wednesday!
For links to lovely, shabby, chippy whites, stop by Blissful Whites Wednesday!
Beautiful greys at Grey Dey Thursdeys.
Lovely things to be found at
French cottagey links at Feathered Nest Friday!
 

♥♥♥ Thank you so much for visiting and for all your lovely comments!! ♥♥♥
Have a great weekend!
Photobucket

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

That's absolutely devastating to work so hard on something and have such a wonderful finished piece and then actually see it destroyed in such a way. I know accidents happen but that had to be a terribly hard one to swallow. I'm so glad you could redo it -- I'm sure it was all the more appreciated for the extra time and effort.

I wanted to thank you for stopping by Marmelade Gypsy -- I always enjoy it when you come by and comment! And thanks for the splendid spring images. We actually have been having snow here today -- nothing big, but nothing fun, either -- and I'm thinking it's a good day to play in some paint and glue!Your sampler is lovely!

Linda said...

Lorraine, Your fabric collages are beautiful! And what a heartbreak to find your work of art in shambles:( But it had a happy ending as all good love stories do!

Patty in Oz said...

The collage for the newly weds is priceless. It's lovely how the imagination works and challenges us sometime isn't it? It's lovely that you have photos of the original for their hearts to smile about. What a story with a happy ending.

The vintage arts you are sharing are delightful! Thank you! I especially loved learning/hearing about the snipet art. Thank you for sharing...new to me. What a fun project in my near future I hope.

Have your favorite kind of Sunday Lorraine!

Patty in Oz

Createology said...

Thankfully you were able to create a new collage and include the wedding to bring it full circle and give it to them in person. Your snippet roll is fabulous. I do love butterflies and your banner to me is perfect. Thank you! Creative Bliss...

Ornella said...

Oh my gosh!!!What a damage!!Fortunately you have restored!!!

Jeanie said...

Hello, Lorraine!

Just a quick little note to say that you and your blog are missed. I hope you are not blogging because life is so full of wonderful things that you simply don't have the time -- but when you do, we'll be there!

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

Oh no, that's terrible. I'm so sorry it happened. They should be more considerate of a work of art. Wouldn't you think they'd realize the time, love, and energy put into it? I can't imagine how upset you must have been. Happily, you saved the day and everything turned out okay! Whew!! I'm glad. Take care, Julie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...